Monday, February 13, 2012

Transfer Fat by Aase Berg

I had so much fun reading this! Berg's poetry is so delightfully strange. I kept laughing and reading out lines of her poems to my husband.

Transfer Fat was written about pregnancy, and just about everyone poem has something about fat, or whales, milk or hares. I read some of this book in Remainland: Selected Poems, and I didn't realize that it was about pregnancy at first. I thought it was just about being fat. There is a lot about milk in the book, so I think it is more obvious that it is about pregnancy.

The book is translated by Johannes Göransson, who translated Berg's books that are available in English. It has been chosen for the Rumpus's Poetry Book Club this month. (I was a member of this great book club, but I couldn't afford it when my cat got sick. I plan on resubscribing after I get the debt from her treatment paid off.) I am excited to hear the discussion.

It is refreshing for once to read poems about fat that don't talk about being fat as a bad thing.

Right now I am recovering from ovary removal surgery and my stomach is extra large, so I am enjoying all the whale and fat references more than usual. "Whale" in Swedish is "val."

My favorites from the book:
The Hare Infects Dad With Rabies

Whole Whale (This is in my review of Remainland, in the middle of the page)

Blubber Biter

Birth Rubber (At the end of the page).

3 Comments:

At 4:39 AM, Blogger Deja said...

Would love to read this, but I can't find it anywhere. Where did you find it? It's not in the library system or even on Amazon. I hate it when that happens ...

 
At 7:46 AM, Blogger beth coyote said...

Oh wow, love it.

 
At 7:45 AM, Blogger Radish King said...

I can't wait to read this. I love her stuff. With Deer was so outstanding.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home