Monday, November 21, 2011

I read two books about extinct animals over the weekend

Swift as a Shadow by Rosamond Wolff Purcell

This is a good introduction to extinct animals. I wish there was more information on each animal, but this book is more about the photographs.

Rosamond Purcell photographed stuffed animals, some times in groups or in their storage/specimen boxes. The photos are so sad and beautiful, they are the perfect tone for the subject.

I want to pick up a copy--it is almost a reference book.



A Gap in Nature by Tim Flannery, Peter Schouten

I read this around the same time I read Swift as a Shadow. Both books are about extinct animals including photos or drawings of the animals and short descriptions of the animals and why they went extinct.

The descriptions of the animals were a little more extensive, but I still wanted more information on each animal. I think I am going to have to find an individual book on each animal to be satisfied with the amount of information I want.

I liked the paintings in this book, but I preferred the photographs in Swift as a Shadow because it gave me a better idea of what the animals looked like.

I think both books go together very well.

1 Comments:

At 6:25 AM, Blogger Alex P. said...

Books are not dinosaurs that are deemed to be extinct these days. The presence of books are still the most important one, rather than those offered in the Internet. lms learning management system

 

Post a Comment

<< Home