Monday, September 12, 2011

Everything is Every Thing by Cristin O'Keefe Aptowicz

A friend of mine lent me this book. He thought I would enjoy it because the poet and I have common interests: trivia, weird history, presidential history, weird presidential history. I did enjoy the book. She is a slam poet, and is known for her dramatic performances. I do think I am missing something by just reading some of the poems, but overall, the poems stand on their own. I keep a mental list of poetry books to give a person who is interested in poetry but isn't sure where to start. This is on my list because Aptowicz is not hard to understand, isn't stuffy (don't get me wrong, I also like stuffy poetry!), and isn't prose broken into stanzas. I don't have the book in front of me because I had to return it, so I can't talk about the line and stanza breaks. I do remember her titles were usually very long. Probably too long (something I am guilty of myself). My favorites in the book: Every Winter, Everyone Thinks My Boyfriend is Elvis Costello (second to last one on the page) Insults That Only Work if You Are a Presidential History Buff (Last one on the page) Choke

1 Comments:

At 10:41 PM, Blogger beth coyote said...

Oh yes, liked Choke a lot, not the others. Choke be very good.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home