Friday, June 04, 2010

Update on Brushing my Cat's Teeth

My cats have eaten dry food all their lives, and have also been overweight. My vet recommended wet food and I tried it and finally (finally!) their weight is under control. The problem is their teeth aren't doing as well. The vet wants me to start brushing their teeth.

The directions for brushing a cat's teeth say

week 1: Lift the cat's lip and rub your finger on their teeth.

week 2: Put toothpaste on your finger and brush their teeth with your finger.

week 3: Brush their teeth with the toothbrush.

I couldn't lift the cats' lips until weeks after I first started, but now I think I am finally ready to move on to week 2. I am going to try and brush their teeth with my finger on Saturday or Sunday! I'll let you know how it goes.

The only reason I am making progress at all is because the cats are eating proper portions, and not hogging out like they wish they could. They are food crazy. I touch their mouths right before I give them a treat, and because they know the treat is coming, they put up with it. I've also been putting the seafood flavored toothpaste (Ew!) on the treat to get them ready for the brushing that is coming soon!

1 Comments:

At 11:21 PM, Blogger beth coyote said...

Yup, cat diets. They hate it. They hiss and growl when I feed them---but they're sleek!!! I can't imagine brushing their teeth. I wish you well (and bandages and iodine).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home