Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Torched Verse Ends by Steven D. Schroeder

Torched Verse Ends is a fun book. I got Schroeder's book because I liked his poems that I would see online. His style of writing is unique--there is more wordplay than usual, and the subjects are about things that I don't usually see in poetry (video games, bars, pool). I like seeing something different sometimes. I also like when a poet has a style that is unique enough that I can tell who wrote a poem without reading the author's name. The poems are packed tight, without making you feel exhausted afterward, and are smart without making you feel stupid. They are friendly.

Another thing I really liked about the collection are Schroeder's titles. I think they are some of the best titles I've read.

My favorites from the book

Without Glasses (last one on the page)

These 3 are from his online chapbook, 90% of Everything

Fifteen Ways to Finish Fish (page 10)

Bad Nature Lover (page 6)

52 Pickup Lines (page 15)

1 Comments:

At 10:07 AM, Blogger Steven D. Schroeder said...

Hi Valerie:

I just stumbled across this. Thanks for the kind words!

Best,
Steve

 

Post a Comment

<< Home