Friday, June 04, 2010

The Terrible Stories by Lucille Clifton

I read a lot of these poems before, and I am happy to have an excuse to read them again.

Clifton was one of the first poets that I read that showed me that poetry was modern and alive. I read some of her Superman/Clark Kent poems. I was surprised to see pop culture references. She was a great discovery for me.

I also wanted to read one of her books because she recently died, and I feel like I am going to miss her.

The Terrible Stories is a fantastic book. I should have read it earlier. It is a great example of what makes Clifton a joy to read. Her poems are funny, surprising, and they are full of emotion. This book has everything that I love about poetry.

The book is divided into sections, and I like some more than others. (Her section, "From the Book of David," I didn't understand some of the references.) My favorite was "A Dream of Foxes." I read about half of the fox poems before, and was glad to read the rest of them.

My favorite poems in the book:

leaving fox The link sends you to a wonderful site of her poems, and this is the section with the fox poems.

scar (half way down the page)

lorena

entering the south

2 Comments:

At 11:19 PM, Blogger beth coyote said...

Oh yes, Lucille. She was practically the first poet I collected, her singular female voice. Strong and true. Economy of words. The right words.

 
At 8:45 AM, Blogger waqas said...

Hello Friends very nice Site Its very lovly

 

Post a Comment

<< Home