Thursday, June 03, 2010

New Smoke Anthology

I moved New Smoke: An Anthology of Poetry Inspired by Neo Rauch up on my reading list because I am going to a poetry reading for this anthology next week.

I know a couple people in this anthology and have heard some of the poems read before. I had also talked to some of the poets about the artist Neo Rauch before reading the anthology.

Neo Rauch is my kind of artist. His paintings are fun, and surreal. I am a fan of his work. I never would have heard of him if it wasn't for this anthology. Here is a google image search for him if you want to see some images of some his paintings.

All the poems in this book have the similarity of having a lot of images that normally wouldn't go together, and it feels like some of the poems have images stacking on top of each other, just like Rauch's paintings. The poems and the art compliment each other.

Rauch is a good subject for an anthology because the poets can each write a couple poems about his paintings, and the poems fit well with the artwork without being repetitive. All the poets were different enough from each other so I could identify which poet wrote which poem.

I hear the press, Off the Park Press, is planning other ekphrastic poetry anthologies. I am looking forward to reading more of their work.

My favorite poems in the anthology:

Marian Brown St. Onge's "In This Hunter's Room"

Catherine Shainberg's "Postcard"

Gale Batchelder's "Martin Luther Revises his Thesis"

Judson Evan's "Fog Mirror"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home