Thursday, June 24, 2010

Hard Reds by Brandi Homan

After reading Homan’s current work published online, I didn’t expect these poems to be personal (or seem personal), and I expected to see a lot more prose poems.

These poems are friendly and straightforward. Each poem tells you a story. Judging by the poems, I assume Homan comes from a similar background to me and it feels like I am visiting home. The poems are comforting.

I didn’t like the series of poems about red dresses called The Red Dress Centos. I think they could have been combined into one poem.

I liked her titles and they usually added something to enhance the poems.

The book is in sections, and I like the second section (Two Kinds of Arson) best. I know Homan has a chabook of the same name. I have the chapbook and plan on reading it soon. I also have to pick up Bobcat Country--I would love to see what Homan is writing now.

My favorites in the book:

Self Portrait in Blueshift (Bottom of page)

Ode to the Barycenter of a Binary Star (last poem)

Labrador


Put Your Hands on the Plow and Hold on

2 Comments:

At 6:04 AM, Blogger Deja said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog! It took me awhile to find out how I knew you, and you wrote "Anatomy Test"! Am fairly, really, yeah, a lot obsessed with that poem. Thank you for writing it. I'm also friends with Erin Smith, who published another of your poems in Stirring. And you're in Acton? (I'm in Brighton.) If you do a reading around here, I'd love to hear about it. Congrats on the book!

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger Kold_Kadavr_flatliner said...

Why don't ya join this sinfull mortal Upstairs for my BIG-OL-party-hardy where we celebrate our resurrection for years and years? You’re so invited. You’re so more than welcome. God blessa youse -Fr. Sarducci, ol SNL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home