Sunday, June 27, 2010

Becoming the Villainess by Jeannine Hall Gailey

I read Red Becomes the Wolf on Verse Daily awhile ago, and I liked it so much I picked up Becoming the Villainess. I was really looking forward to reading it because I love villains, and I had heard that all the characters in the poems were women. I really enjoyed Gailey's askew fairy tales. All the poems were about various women or girl characters in fairy tales or archetypes.

I have seen these characters redone before but I like Gailey's versions--they have an edge. They talk like believable people. I liked how much variety there was in the poems' subject matter, yet somehow it was all tied together. I was a relief to hear all these characters who were always at the mercy of villains, or hoping to be saved by men have strong voices in this book. The women in this book are how I wish all those characters were written in their original stories.

The language in the poetry is tight and strong. There is not any fat to trim. The stanza breaks were pretty orderly, and almost always had stanzas that were the same amount of lines. The lines were broken at the ends of sentences or the middles, usually ending with a strong word.


When Red Becomes the Wolf

Spy Girls

Alice in Darkness (one up from the bottom of the page)

In the Faces of Lichtenstein's Women

2 Comments:

At 7:22 AM, Blogger 王瑞 said...

在莫非定律中有項笨蛋定律:「一個組織中的笨蛋,恆大於等於三分之二。」.................................................................                           

 
At 7:55 PM, Blogger Supervillainess said...

Thanks for this, Valerie!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home