Monday, May 03, 2010

I still have a nagging feeling that I have a poem I need to write today

I did NaPoWriMo again this year. This was the first time I posted the poems as I was writing them. I was on a private facebook group with a local group of poets. I didn't want to post them to the blog because some magazines consider them published if they are on a blog.

Because I was showing them to other people every day, my standards went up, and instead of spending my usual hour writing a poetry draft, I spent 2 hours every day writing my drafts so they would be good enough to post to the group.

It was great, I never pushed myself this hard during poetry month, and like more of the poems than I usually do.

Near the end of the month, whenever I saw anyone from the group we all looked the same: exhausted. I was having trouble sleeping (I ended up writing some poems about sleep disorders) and as I was writing the last (short) poem, every single line was a struggle. I was squeezing a completely dry sponge.

This weekend, I went on a bike ride (to the ice cream stand, ha), watched Dr. Horrible's Singalong Blog with friends. (I've seen it before, but Kris hasn't so I arranged a viewing with Kris, Phil and Allison).

3 Comments:

At 12:14 AM, Blogger beth coyote said...

I did that poem a day thing and by the end I hated all poetry. Never again. I ain't no William Stafford!

 
At 12:15 AM, Blogger beth coyote said...

Glad you survived it, by the way.

 
At 5:52 AM, Blogger Chad Parenteau said...

She did a good job, people.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home