Monday, May 10, 2010

Factory of Tears

I moved Mort's book Factory of Tears to the top of my reading list because I heard Mort reading on the Poetry Magazine podcast. I was impressed by both her reading and her writing.

I am still impressed after reading her book. Her images are very often surprising and she seems to write simply, but the poems are somehow heavy and they stick to you. They are gorgeous, even when their subjects aren't.

This book was translated from Belarusian, but Mort has started to write in English. I only heard one of her English poems, but if all of her future Enlish poems are as good as the one I heard/read on Poetry Magazine. (The poem is Jean-Paul Belmondo), I can't wait for her next book. I missed the chance to see her read in Massachusetts last month. Even though the drive would have been an hour and a half away, I am mad I didn't go.

My favorite poems in the book:

New York

Grandmother (4th poem from the top)

White Apples

On a Steamer

3 Comments:

At 6:04 AM, Blogger 陳LupeCristobl said...

當一個人內心能容納兩樣相互衝突的東西,這個人便開始變得有價值了。...............................................................

 
At 1:06 AM, Blogger beth coyote said...

Wow, oh wow.

 
At 4:12 PM, Blogger Valerie Loveland said...

I would love to see her read one day. She is wonderful!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home