Saturday, May 08, 2010

Blind Huber by Nick Flynn

When I started reading Blind Huber: Poems this week, I met at beekeeper at work, a friend on mine sent me a poem that she wrote that included bees--bees were everywhere.

I am so glad I picked this book for the 20th I've read so far this year. It was wonderful. It didn't feel like this whole book about bees was repetitive, or gimmicky.

In addition to bees, there were poems about a specific bee researcher, Francois Huber (yeah, he was blind), and his assistant, Francois Burnens. I love how the poems are from the first person's perspective, either from Huber, Burnens or each type of bee. It sounds cheesy, but it isn't at all.

I read a lot of Flynn's poems online when Some Ether: Poems came out, and I really liked them, but I think these are even better. It feels like he ascends himself.

My favorites in this book:

Hive (Third poem down. It also has 4 other poems from the book)

Queen (failed)

Twinned

Queen (It is on page 3 of this document. It is the poem that made me buy the book)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home