Sunday, April 18, 2010

Geography III by Elizabeth Bishop

As part of my Words in Air: The Complete Correspondence Between Elizabeth Bishop and Robert Lowell reading preparation, I wanted to read some Elizabeth Bishop. I hadn't read very much of her writing. I finished [book:Geography III: Poems|125219] very quickly. There were only ten poems in the whole book. It was 50 pages, but the print was huge.

All of these poems were new to me. I have only read "The Fish" before.

I liked her imagery, and it seemed to me like the poems were written slowly and quietly. None of the writing is intense, or action packed, but it is enjoyable to read in a calming sort of way. There was a lot packed into the poems. I still haven't read that much of Bishop's poetry, but it feels like I read more than ten poems.

My favorites in the book:

Objects & Apparitions (This is for Joseph Cornell. I read a quote saying all poets have a thing for Cornell, and I think he might be right.)

Night City

In the Waiting Room

Crusoe in England

2 Comments:

At 7:30 PM, Blogger beth coyote said...

sliding beneath a big black wave, and another, and another....

thanks, Valerie,as usual for turning my attention to poems.

 
At 7:19 AM, Blogger Valerie Loveland said...

Yes, that is my favorite part too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home