Thursday, February 18, 2010

Mosquito by Alex Lemon

I enjoyed Alex Lemon's Mosquito. His book deals a lot with illness, whether it is his own or his grandfather's. Even the love poems in this book have a bit of sickness in them. The poems feel like they are more alive in a way because the speaker in the poems doesn't take life for granted.

I think this book is something everyone can relate to because we all have or will have to deal with serious illness. It is authentic in the way it portrays a life trying to be normal and day to day while having something scary and serious always looming.

I don't mind that Lemon doesn't spell everything out in his poems. He leads the reader through the poetry with beautiful wordplay and lovely phrases that almost reveal what is going on.

My favorites from the book:
MRI

Ashtray

Portrait My Mother Painted from My Mugshot

Kinematics (the second poem after the interview, which is an interesting interview, btw)

2 Comments:

At 12:42 AM, Blogger beth coyote said...

More real somehow, no flinching.

 
At 7:42 PM, Blogger Valerie Loveland said...

Yes, exactly.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home