Monday, January 18, 2010

Life Among the Trolls by Maura Stanton

Snow on Snow and Cries of Swimmers are some of my favorite books, and they are also the only two Stanton books I've read before this one.

I probably had unfair expectations for Life Among the Trolls, Stanton's fourth poetry book, since I loved the other two so much.

There were some great poems in this book, but I really didn't like the style of about half of the poems. Those were kind of loose and rambling, or they rhymed, at times, awkwardly.

I feel like it is a transition book, and she is between styles. I know later she writes prose poems, which are also good.

I still think the book is still worth reading for the great poems, but I would rather recommend her first two books of poetry, where every single poem is fantastic.

I loved the poem "A History of Criticism," which was in 5 parts. I think people who work in academia would especially enjoy it.

My other favorite poems in the book:

Returning to Arizona - As someone who has moved a lot, I can relate to this.

Chairman - I enjoyed the mysterious characters Mr. X, Mr. Y and Mr. Z

Ice Storm on the Pennsylvania Turnpike - It snows a lot in Massachusetts, and I think Stanton describes perfectly the feelings of driving in horrible weather.

3 Comments:

At 6:47 PM, Blogger beth coyote said...

I drove up 81 in NY once and all I could see were the mile markers. When a semi went by, nothing, I could see nothing.

 
At 6:48 PM, Blogger beth coyote said...

In a VW bug, of course. No heat. weenie little windshield wipers.

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger Valerie Loveland said...

I'm so glad I live 3 minutes from work because I am terrified of driving in the snow (and it snows non stop here).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home