Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Here, Bullet by Brian Turner

After earning his MFA, Brian Turner served in Iraq with the US Army for a year. He called himself an embedded poet.

Learning about the war through poetry, it is easier to understand daily life for the soldiers, and about the place where they are living away from their families. It describes parts of a place that I haven't seen before. I don't think I ever got a real picture of what Iraq looks like, even though I've seen it on the news. These poems paint a picture that includes, smells, weather.

Many of the poems are heartbreaking. Most are related to war, but not all of them. I like that Turner includes poems written about landscapes, and dreams too. There is a series of dream poems "Dreams from the Malaria Pills" which are interesting and disturbing. Also, I didn't know that malaria pills gave people weird dreams.

I am interested in seeing what Turner writes about for his next book.

My favorite poems in this book:
Sadiq - I love the ending of this poem: "it should break your heart to kill."
Jameel - This poem has a great description of cowbirds, bees.
Milh - A gorgeous poem about salt production.
Here Bullet - I love the ending: "here is where the world ends every time."

From the Fishouse (my favorite poetry website) has a good Brian Turner page.

4 Comments:

At 5:59 PM, Blogger beth coyote said...

Thanks, you keep pointing me toward real good poems.

 
At 6:11 PM, Blogger Samantha Milowsky said...

Yes, thanks for introducing us to poets and their poems. I just purchased a couple of Aase Berg books because of you. Love them.

 
At 6:14 AM, Blogger a0980021012 said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger Valerie Loveland said...

Thanks Beth!

Samantha, isn't Berg wonderful? I can't wait for them to translate more! Hurry up!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home