Monday, June 08, 2009

The Homestead

I went to Emily Dickinson's house yesterday with Kris and my poet friend Joanie. We saw both houses: The Homestead, where Emily lived, and The Evergreens, where her brother Austin and his wife lived. A lot of Austin's house had original furniture and art and one of the rooms hadn't been touched since the 1800's (Gilbert's room was kept exactly as he left it when he died when he was a child in 1883). I loved seeing the houses and it really made me think of Emily Dickinson more as a person instead of just made of poetry or a recluse hidden away.

Last night I dreamed I lived in the two houses, with their pianos, and dark wallpaper; creaking up the stairs and keeping Gilbert's room shut.



Kris and I in front of Emily's house, The Homestead.

2 Comments:

At 10:33 PM, Blogger beth coyote said...

Thanks for going to visit Emily. (and her house is the same colors as mine, coincidence?) And yes, keep that door closed.

 
At 10:33 PM, Blogger beth coyote said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home