Monday, March 31, 2008

NaPoWriMo

Every year I go back and forth about whether or not I want to do NaPoWriMo. Last year, I had the horrible idea that instead of writing a poetry draft a day, I would revise one of my many poetry drafts each day in April.

For me, a day is not enough time to revise a draft, so the poems were bad after rushing through revisions. This year, I am thinking about going classic with it and writing a draft a day.

The only decision I have to make now is whether or not to post the drafts on my blog. I really enjoy seeing everyone’s drafts, but I don't show anyone my poetry until it is in a late draft. My motivation for finishing a poem is so I can share it with people. The few times I've shown someone an early draft, or told them an idea I have for a poem, I lost my drive to finish it.

Does anyone else use this technique for motivation? Who is doing NaPoWriMo this year? If so, who is posting it on their blog? I don't think I'll be posting the poems, but maybe I'll post the titles.

7 Comments:

At 10:18 AM, Blogger SarahJane said...

I'm going to do it.
Here: http://bluehookah.blogspot.com

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger Valerie Loveland said...

I am still debating about posting them everyday, but I'll be writing a draft a day.

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger Valerie Loveland said...

Sarah, I forgot to mention, I love the smokey photo on the top of your bluehookah blog.

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger Radish King said...

I'm doing it on a private blog. I challenged my students to do it as well and if they do it, I'll give them the URL but only one agreed, so only two people know where it is. I'm invested in the process but don't really much need the rah-rah involved. I'd rather do it sneaky and ulcer-ridden.

 
At 2:25 PM, Blogger American said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger Sandra said...

Posting titles works pretty well.

I find that if I conceptually talk about a poem before doing ANY drafting, that definitely kills it. But once I get some words on the page, I'm committed. And the external sharing motvates me--the equivalent of pushpinning a page to my studio door each night (which is what I do at colonies).

Good luck, good luck! I'm rooting for you...

 
At 5:31 AM, Blogger Melanie said...

I like the idea of posting titles or writing about what is inspiring you. I'm posting poems on my blog. But because it nearly wiped me out last year I may choose some days to write about the process.

http://www.widepathpoetry.com/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home