Friday, August 03, 2007

I am really happy to hear that Charles Simic is the next poet laureate

I was stolen by the gypsies. My parents stole me right back. Then the gypsies stole me again, this went on for some time. One minute I was in the caravan suckling the dark teat of my new mother, the next I sat at the long dining room table eating my breakfast with a silver spoon.
It was the first day of spring. One of my fathers was singing in the bathtub; the other one was painting a live sparrow the colors of a tropical bird.

--Charles Simic

5 Comments:

At 3:22 AM, Blogger SarahJane said...

That's a great one. Love that book.

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger Valerie Loveland said...

Yeah it's a great book. The only thing--I wish the poems had titles.

 
At 6:25 PM, Blogger Nin Andrews said...

I love Simic too! Great choice.

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger jenni said...

I think he's a good choice. I'm happy for him.

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger Andrew Shields said...

That's one of my favorite bits of Simic, too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home