Thursday, May 10, 2007

There was an animal in our wall

Yesterday, I heard some scratching and chewing noises. At first I thought the animal was inside, but it was coming from the wall. I put in a maintenance request and they said they would send out pest control the next day.

The animal was scratching, on and off, all day. When Philip came home for lunch, we decided we couldn't trust pest control not to kill it. We were going to get it out of the wall ourselves.

Our apartment has a bookcase built into the walls, and that is where the noise was coming from, so Phil pulled the entire bookcase out of the wall in one piece. (It was only held into the wall with a couple long screws and spackle along the bottom).

Philip went back to work and I went to the store to get supplies:
a spackle kit
a long, thin hand saw
thick gloves for both of us

I also assembled stuff we already had, that I thought might be helpful:
hamper
cat carrier
blanket
flashlight

I sawed 3 sides of a square hole and then picked Philip up at work. I hit a stud when I was sawing, so the hole was smaller than I wanted it to be. It wasn't big enough for either of us to reach in with our hand. Philip sawed the last side of the hole and I looked in the hole with a flashlight and didn't see anything. Since hearing it scratching and chewing all day, I wanted to save it, but I also was pretty nervous it might suddenly jump out of the hole in the wall. Philip was convinced it wouldn't jump out and we'd have to retrieve it with our hands.

We decided to make the hole bigger. As Philip started sawing again, a bird suddenly popped her head out and really startled us. I am embarrassed to say, I yelped. A second later, the whole bird jumped out and walked around on the floor a little. She let me take her picture.

Philip put on the gloves and tried to pick her up so we could let her outside, but the bird started flying around the house. I opened the front door, and she flew outside.

She is standing where our bookshelf used to be. That object below her in the photo is the drywall from the hole we sawed.

4 Comments:

At 9:56 AM, Blogger jenni said...

Oh my god!!

I love it. How the hell did the bird get in there?!

Great story.

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger Montgomery Maxton said...

pete the wall bird

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger Valerie Loveland said...

I have no idea how she got in. I am terrified that another one will end up in our wall. The maintenance dept. of the apartment complex was on the roof looking for ways it could have gotten in, but I'm not sure if they found anything.

 
At 10:30 PM, Blogger beth coyote said...

You are my hero. We once had to rescue our not-too-bright cat from the heat vent IN THE CEILING. But property damage to save a birdie-you rock!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home