Tuesday, May 08, 2007

My cat's name is Corvine

An NYU grad student invented a crow vending machine. The goal of the project is to see if they can teach crows to buy peanuts from the machine with coins they find.

This link is to a video of the student's thesis presentation for this project. In addition to talking about the project, it also includes a lot of interesting general information about crows--their use of tools, the way they learn, and my favorite: their use of crosswalks.

I am kind of disappointed that the student is not a goth.

Here is the website on the project if you don't want to watch the video.

5 Comments:

At 1:33 AM, Blogger Suzanne said...

I watched a crow destroy a sparrow's nest yesterday. Completely took it apart and then flew away. Maybe he was looking for peanuts?

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger Christine said...

Marianne Moore had a pet crow.

So I hear.

 
At 6:40 PM, Blogger Valerie Loveland said...

Suzanne, he could have been looking for change.

Christine, now I think Marianne Moore is even cooler!

 
At 6:01 AM, Blogger jenni said...

I've heard they are incredibly smart birds.

 
At 8:13 PM, Blogger josh said...

Who says I'm not a goth? I note that's a *black* t-shirt I'm wearing! ;)

Seriously, thanks so much for the enthusiasm about the project. If anyone's interested in more details I've put up some short videos and my paper, and would love to hear any feedback! Info's at:

www.wireless.is/crows

Oh, and my guess is that the crow tearing apart the sparrow nest was originally looking for eggs, and got bored. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home