Sunday, March 25, 2007

Kidnaper
--Tess Gallagher

He motions me over with a question.
He is lost. I believe him. It seems
he calls my name. I move
closer. He says it again, the name
of someone he loves. I step back pretending

not to hear. I suspect
the street he wants
does not exist, but I am glad to point
away from myself. While he turns
I slip off my wristwatch, already laying a trail
for those who must find me
tumbled like an abandoned car
into the ravine. I lie

without breath for days among ferns.
Pine needles drift
onto my face and breasts
like tiny hands
of watches. Cars pass.
I imagine it’s him
coming back. My death
is not needed. The sun climbs again
for everyone. He lifts me
like a bride

and the leaves fall from my shoulders
in twenty-dollar bills.
“You must have been cold” he says
covering me with his handkerchief.
“You must have given me up.”


from Amplitude: New and Selected Poems

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home